Loron Pierre Antoine
Rue des bons enfants, 24 in Versailles. Originating from Cheratte – Liege
One owes him a rifle hammerless, patented on January 4, 1847 and one gun of living room (patent of August 18, 1854) - joined Belgium in 1856 when it deposits 11 patents until 1880. His son Calixte Henri, born in Versailles in 1843, after his training with Cheratte, continues his formation to “Saint Etienne”. He is established in this city where he signs his achievements "Loron & Co". It married in 1872. It seems that the son marketed the weapons of his father in France. In 1865 Pierre Antoine Loron brevette his new pin revolver in Liege.
This weapon measures 355mm length, it is in calibre .25 and weighs 850 grams.
It functions according to the patent of 1854 of Pierre Antoine Loron thanks to self-propelled balls manufactured by Gaupillat (from where marking “Loron & G” of the barrel).
The photographs of the mechanism make it possible to see the 3 holes of the mobile room:
- With the front one positions the complete ammunition, starts at the bottom of the cavity
-It back hole allows the needle (which one sees in back position on the photograph) to reach the base of the self-propelled ball.
-It lower hole emerges transversely in the room and allows the second needle fixed and fixed in the bottom of the trunk to slightly come to be inserted in the side of the ball, thus preventing it from advancing under the blow of the needle of percussion.
The advantage of the Loron-Gaupillat system comes from its absence of casing and extractor.
Its principal defect was to be the brittleness of the balls.
Its second defect was undoubtedly the weakness of the ammunition, only propelled by fulminate.
But let us not forget that they were “guns of living room” thus of weapons of great luxury, not used solely with the shelter and with calms.
Thanks very particular to Marc for the superb photographs and the precise technical details!
These two open framework and pin revolvers are reconversions of same system LORON originally to percussion. The absence of trigger guard and probably of gauge differentiates them immediately.
A lever bolt of disassembling placed on the left side of the frame makes it possible to disunite the barrel unit carcass thus allowing a faster unloading/recharging, the access to the cylinder being much easier
The lever bolt can also act as extractor for the cases inflated by the deflagration.
The capacity of the barrel is of 6 shots and the range of the calibers goes from 7 to 12 mm.
This same revolver was also produced provided with the double action, it is recognized by the absence of peak on the dog.
The grip is finely squared, this grip goes up very high and hold place of plate of covering of the mechanism.
Thanks to the particular shape of this grip the catch in hand is very good.
Entirely polished white, it is finely engraved on the carcass, the console and the barrel.
It carries the punches of tests of Liege, namely:
Spangled ELG in an oval: acceptance of 1846 to 1893.
Y crowned: countermark of the controller of 1853 to 1877.
The console is marked LORON BREVETE
The model with pin meets more often than the model with piston
That's the second
Back to "IDENTIFIED CRAFTSMEN"