Lebeau – Courally
In 1865, Auguste Lebeau, known as one of the best arms manufacturers of the Area of Argenteau (large suburbs of Liege) opens its own factory of shotguns of highest quality.
In 1896, death of Auguste Lebeau, Ferdinand Courally ensures continuity, he will be the author in 1931 of very known "the Weapons of Hunting and their Shooting".
In 1902, the firm takes the name of "Webley-Lebeau-Courally".
In 1919, Ferdinand Courally is withdrawn, the firm becomes a limited company ` SA Continental Auguste Lebeau-Courally "under the direction of English Philippe Reeve. About 1930 departure of the Rue Mosselman, 51-53 for the Rue Fond des Tawes, 17-21 (close to the bench of tests) At the beginning of Ph. Reeve, in 1956, the Lebeau-Courally house is repurchased by Joseph Verrees *, already manufacturer of weapons in Liege.
In 1982, with died of Joseph Verrees, his niece Anne-Marie Moermans-Ramakers, the direction begins again. She always currently assumes the perpetuation of the great tradition armurière inhabitant of Liège, in the field of the weapons of hunting of great luxury.
SA VERREES & Co - LEBEAU-COURALLY - Rue Saint-Gilles, 386, B-4000 Liege
* Joseph Verrees, bank clerk of 1930 to 1945, opens under his name his own manufacture in 1945. In 1949, it joins another manufacturer: Oste and they create the firm "Verrees and Oste", specialized in the construction of fine weapons.
In 1952, end of association with Oste, the firm becomes "fine Munitions factory Verrees & Co".
In 1954, transfer of the Company of the n° 99 to the n° 386 of the street Saint-Gilles.
In 1956, repurchase of "Lebeau-Courally".
It is about a shotgun to central percussion with top break of the hammerless type. The barrels are juxtaposed, smooth and of gauge 12. The opening is practiced using the key Top Lever placed at the top of the breech. The stick in magnifying glass of walnut is worked with English with the catch in squared hand. The forearm is with pump seem me?
The weapon carries the lawful punches of the profhouse of LIEGE, namely:
ELG* in a crowned oval: final acceptance post 1893.
G* and N*: countermarks of the controllers post 1877.
Peron: inspection, of use of 1853 to our days.
12C in a rhombus: gauge, of use of 1893 to 1924.
EL in English letters: provisional test, of use of 1852 to our days.
PV surmounted of a stylized lion: test with the powder without smoke, of use of 1898 to 1924.
D = 7O/20.6: length of the room in mm and diameter in mm after optional test with the powder without smoke. In use of 1892 to 1924.
P1K347, 8: weight of the barrel which can draw from the powders without smoke (weapons smooth) Of use of 1892 to 1924.
The weapon also carries the following marks:
LEBEAU-COURALLY A LIEGE FABT DES COURS IMPLLES DE RUSSIE ET D’ALLEMAGNE (LEBEAU-COURALLY in Liege Manufacturer of the Imperial courts of Russia and Germany): mark of AUGUSTE LEBEAU-COURALLY, street Fond of Tawes, 19-23 in LIEGE. The house was founded in 1865.Il acts of a very famous house for the quality of its weapons. The house still currently exists. (See the site).
AUGUSTE LEBEAU FABt à LIEGE: idem above.
FAIT POUR ROBERT ZIEGLER A VARSOVIE (MANUFACTURED FOR ROBERT ZIEGLER A WARSAW): it would seem according to the advertising insert in appendix which it is about a retailer of weapons installed with WARSAW - POLOGNE at the time.
MARK DEPOSEE (ball containing the letter L): grade of steel LEUGRANN used.
STEEL LEUGRANN: idem above.
34548: job number. perhaps 4219 belongs to the manufacturer of guns.
Double L + C crowned: mark LEBEAU-COURALLY.
Large 2: it indicates that it is the number 2 of a pair, in box probably?
It is a weapon of large quality and great value. Note that firm LEBEAU COURALLY still exist and preserves the trace of all its manufacture and that references of this weapon (date, purchasing etc.) can to possibly be asked him.
Auguste Lebeau - Courally
Very beautiful part of great quality! Rifle juxtaposed of gauge 12, locks hammerless, key Top lever, engraving of foliage in hollow bottom, English stick.
The weapon carries the punches of the proof house of Liege to knowing:
Spangled ELG in a crowned oval: acceptance post 1893.
Peron: inspection post 1853.
EL in cursive letters: provisional test post 1852.
J and S spangled: countermarks of the controllers post 1877.
12 C in a rhombus on point: gauge - use of 1898 to 1924.
PV surmounted of a stylized lion: test with the powder without smoke - use of 1898 to 1968.
D = 65/20.6: length of the chamber in mm and diameter in mm after the optional test with the powder without smoke - Use of 1892 to 1924.
1K 454.7: weight of the barrel which can draw from the powders without smoke (weapons smooth) Use of 1892 to 1924.
CHOKE 17.5/18.5: chokes barrels: cal. in mm to 22 cm of the breech and the mouth - use of 1910 to 1924.
The mark Auguste LEBEAU Fabriqué in Liege is very explicit with this subject. The interested was until its death associated with Ferdinand COURALLY (Death in 1896). The house exists always nowadays; it acts of one of the last bastions, most prestigious, of arms manufacture of Liège.
COURALLY Breveté indicates that the weapon was manufactured after the death of LEBEAU is between 1910 and 1924.
Compressed steel OF WAHLREYNE (with tin) stamp of origin, indicates the type of steel having been used for manufacture of the barrels, it acts of a first choice!
See the page of catalog in appendix.
Back to "IDENTIFIED CRAFTSMEN"