Charles CLEMENT (Maybe !)

Revolver with central percussion and box frame of type VELO-DOG. The barel is with eight sides with back sight in half-moon. The long cylinder is grooved. It comprises 5 rooms of calibre 6mm velo-dog. The hammer with ball does not comprise a peak. The rod swivels on an axis and is used for unloading of the cylinder.

The loading is practiced by a door placed on the right side and dropping thanks to the action of an internal spring.

The trigger is right, without trigger guard, it is folded up under the carcass.

The plates consist of what seems to be hardened and squared rubber. They are joined together by a screw and two rivet washers out of brass.

Punches

They are the punches of the proofhouse of Liege, namely:

ELG on star in a crowned oval: final acceptance post 1893.

PV surmounted of a stylized lion: test with the powder without smoke, of use of 1898 to 1968.

Al spangled: countermark of the controller post 1877.

R crowned: rifled bore, of use of 1894 to 1968.

Marks

L crowned: this mark does not belong to the proofhouse and resists the identification, for a long time. It is perhaps about a mark of foundry?? 

Two interlaced circles: I am certain to know this mark but not average of me to recall some exactly. It resembles a mark of Charles CLEMENT.

GG

Charles CLEMENT

Revolver Cap & ball of Liege imitating celebrate it COLT NAVY 1851, although there is no photograph of the complete weapon.

The engraving of the cylinder represents an evolution of ships in front of a bridge which gave to this weapon the rather whimsical denomination of “BROOKLYN BRIDGE” in the world of the collectors.

Punches

The weapon carries markings of the proofhouse of tests of Liege, namely:

A spangled: countermark of the controller post 1877.

R crowned: rifled bore, of use of 1894 to 1968.

A crowned and Y crowned: the presence of these two punches (countermark of the controller of use of 1846 to 1877) is rather anachronistic. Did this weapon perhaps recover an old barrel and passed by again with the profhouse but it is only assumption?

Misses with the call punch ELG on star in an oval crowned or not.

Marks

38 CAL: indicate the calibre of the weapon.

18: is probably a serial number.

The marks CLEMENT ARMS C° and CAP SYSTEM MANUFACTURES BY C. CLEMENT: indicate that this weapon left the workshops of Charles CLEMENT manufacturer of weapons street Chéri to LIEGE.

GG

Clement Charles Ph.

Rue Chéri, 20b – Liège

1903-1954

Registered with the Proof House -1905 to 1954.

CLEMENT, Charles comes from FAGNUS and CLEMENT - in 1899 buys NOSSENT L & S.

Bought in 1954 by NEUMANN Frères.

On November 19, 1908, he registers at the clerk's office of the Liege Provincial Government , a Belgian patent application for an automatic weapon (n°212.172) the operation of which is based on the principle of locking by inertia. A little less than 2 years later, September 26, 1910, the main patent of 1908 is supplemented by a patent improvement for this same gun (n°229.440). One finds this weapon in the 1911 Alfa catalogue under the name semi-automatic rifle Clement-Neumann, caliber 401 W.S.L.

Guns manufactured: Clement 1903/1907/1908/1910/1912/Clement revolver, Clement Fulgor

The FULGOR brand was registered on 27.11.1912 by Charles Philibert CLEMENT who passed away the same year.

GG and MD

Charles Clément

It is indeed about a pistol automatic FULGOR, any steel, simply dismountable and quickly. It weighs 300 grams.

This weapon is the last weapon invented by Charles CLEMENT manufacturer of weapons in LIEGE, before its death.

The weapon which seems to have known better days, carries the lawful punches of the proofhouse of LIEGE, namely:

Spangled ELG in a crowned oval: acceptance post 1893.

AL coupled and spangled: countermark of the controller post 1877.

Peron: inspection post 1853.

R crowned: rifled bore, of use of 1894 to 1968.

PV surmounted of a stylized lion: test with the powder without smoke, of use of 1898 to 1968.

GG

CLEMENT by Hogg

Charles Ph Clement, Liege, Belgium.

(In the trade, also like C Clément, Neumann Brothers).

Clement. Charles Clément, arms manufacturer of Liege, patented in 1903 (brev. Eng. 5180/1903) a clever automatic pistol with a moving breech block, and standing barrel. The barrel and the recoil spring were hidden in a cavity attached to the frame by means of two screws which engaged in a plate formed by the left posterior angle of the frame.

The breech block was slightly excentric, in order to leave space for this plate and was behind the cavity that we mentioned above. This gun usually named "Model 1903" was predisposed to receive the 5 mm cartridge born with the Charola-Anitua pistol. This ammunition was manufactured in Belgium and Clément adopted it ; since his gun lived longer than the Charola, the cartridge was finally known under the name 5 mm Clément.

In 1907, Clément modified the project and transformed it making the plate more robust placing it in the center of the frame. The breech block now built with many side grooves to make the grip easier was split in the center, in order to pass around the plate. The front part of the breech block formed an extention which entered the recoil spring housing. The gun was produced in calibers 6,35 mm and 7,65 mm and was called "Model 1907".

In 1908, a new version of 6,35 mm was put on the market. The principal variants were related to the shape of the grip now with parallel edges and no longer conical, and the magazine safety . On the previous models, this safety had the shape of a push-button located on the internal edge of the grip; it was now on the side of the grip.

In 1910, Clément patented a new project (Brev. Eng. 14996/1909) making the model more rational. The barrel housing and the barrel were now forming a single element, attached to the same central plate, but blocked by a hook-shaped stop actuated by the trigger guard. By moving the trigger guard away from the frame and by pulling it downward, the element formed by the barrel was released and tiped up vertically around the pin, which gave access to the breech bolt to clean it.

The last Clement product was the "Model 1912"; after that it gave up his patents and manufactured a regular 6.35 mm pistol with moving breech block , similar to the Browning 1906, except that there was no grip safety . This gun was produced in small quantities and the prototypes we have examined present a series of minor variants. One of these prototypes features a barrel blocked by a collar fixed at the mouth and screwed to the frame; another has a regular slide of the ''enveloping ''type , with the higher part located in the frame, while a third model presents a slide with a completely smooth upper part . Some are marked "Clement's Patent"; others bear the mark "Model 1912 Patent 243839". It is thought that at the time this gun was ready for production, Clément had already retired or was deceased, and that the Neumann Brothers had taken the company, including the starting of the business and the patents. But the company did not survive to the German occupation of Liege and no Clément gun was produced after 1914. The "Clement" brand was also applied to a revolver produced in small quantities by the Neumann Brothers between 1912 and 1914. It was practically a copy of the COLT Positive Police, 38 Spécial Caliber , recognizable by the monogram of Clement ("CC" interlaced) cast on the handles.

Clement-Fulgor. We knows very few things about this gun which appeared only on some of the Neumann Brothers ads; it was a 7.65 mm with moving breech block , based on the Browning 1903 and did not feature any Clément characteristic. One could regard it as a 7,65 mm equivalent to the Clement"Model 1912" . The production started apparently in 1913, and given the events of the following year, the production never reached large quantities.

Clement Charles

This is a GUARDIAN Pinfire revolver identifiable by the name engraved on the cylinder "THE GUARDIAN MODEL OF 1878" and which is a trade mark registered in Liege on 27.12.1880 by CLEMENT CPJ in Liege / NEUMANN Frères successors. (See site).

The gun itself is rather common and was often identified on the site. Let us only add that the barrel is octagonal whereas others are round and that the extraction rod is missing.

Stamps

Hardly a few visible stamps on the pics; I see a STAR/T which is the countermark of the controler of the Liege Proof house and which was used from 1877 to 1968.

Missing is the stamp of acceptance STAR/ ELG in an oval.

GG

Clement Charles

This gun is a revolver of the "Puppy" type (mini bulldog) with folding trigger.

This type of weapon was manufactured by the hundreds of thousands by Liege arms manufacturers.

STAMPS

ELG\star in an oval, the stamp of acceptance of the Liege Proof House which was used from 1846 to 1893.

The STAR/ E is the counter mark of the controller used from 1877 to 1968.

The other marks (figures) are workshop marks and job number.

The manufacturer

CLEMENT Charles was a gun manufacturer, 37 rue Chéri in Liege, it was active 1893 to 1912 . He registered 35 Belgian patents and 14 trademarks.

Clément Charles

Model "Guardian"

Revolver "THE GUARDIAN AMERICAN MODEL OF 1878", trade mark by Fagnus A. & Clement C. on December 27, 1880, chambered for 12mm Pinfire cartridges/ 6 shots, simple and double action.

According to the Proof House stamp : ELG in a crowned oval and STAR/B , production AFTER 1893 (Clement Charles).

Excellent mechanics, but its external condition is poor , the wood grips have been redone. The marking “The Guardian American model of 1878” can still be seen on the cylinder.

HPH

    

Clément 1903-1907 "transition"

Clément 1907

Cal. .25

 

Clément 1909

Cal .25

  

Clément 1912

Cal .25

 

Back to "IDENTIFIED CRAFTSMEN