Some of the most beautiful work of this craftsman, and many others, are in this book “Liège Gunmakers through their Work. 1800 - 1950”.
For more detail see: LIEGE GUNMAKERS
Two pinfire with a special opening !!
Shotgun to central percussion.
The barrels in Damas ribbons are smooth and juxtaposed.
Locks are “behind” with external hammers.
In front of the trigger guard, a lever with volute being used for the opening of the system.
The stick out of wooden of walnut is worked with English.
The weapon carries a pretty engraving hunting.
Few visible punches on the photographs, we notice the punch EL in English letters which comes from the proofhouse of Liege and means provisional test undergone between 1852 and our days!
The number 17,9 should be the gauge in mm.
BAYET FRERES Btés A LIEGE: it is about the manufacturer of Liège BAYET FRERES (V and Jules). They were registered with the proofhouse of Liège of 1860 to 1881. They are the authors of six patents deposited between 1865 and 1873 and in particular of this one which concerns presents it weapon, namely: a system of percussion without spring. Patent n° 39843 of June 22, 1876. This patent is appended.
7693: serial number.
Bayet Frères SHOTGUN
This is centerfire double barrel shotgun, with side by side 16 gauge smooth bore barrels
Key locking system on the trigger guard and English ''T''.
Back action locks with external hammers.
The weapon carries the stamps of the Liege Proof House, I.e:
STAR/ELG in an oval: final acceptance stamp 1846 to 1893.
Crown/V : controller's counter mark - 1853 to 1877.
EL in cursive letters: provisional test - 1852 to our days.
Perron: inspection -1853 to our days.
3: should be a serial number.
The period of manufacture is therefore between 1853 and 1877.
The manufacturer, as indicated by two marks, one struck and the other one Gold inlaid on the weapon, refers to BAYET Frères (Jules and V?) registered with the Proof House from 1860 to1881.
From 1865 to 1873, they regsitered six Belgian patents relating to firearms.
The stamp Cown/BF in an oval is obviously their mark.
Rifle Comblain II with long lever for Peru
This rifle in the Royal Army Museum collections is the model ordered by Peru at the beginning of 1869. According to an article published in the review “The Gun”, by the hand of Jonathan Kirton, the specimens delivered to Peru mainly carry the stamp of G. Mordant, but it seems that at least two other members of the “Trade Union” also manufactured this model, among others, undoubtedly, this specimen signed Bayet Frères (registered with the Liege Proof House from 1860 to 1881).
Again, according to Jon Kirton, it is probable that other specimens of this rifle were used for tests with the Belgian army, “what explains why so many specimens are still with the MRA” dixit Kirton.
The principal characteristic is therefore the double curl lever.
Peruvian Comblains were brought into service Ca. 1872, probably successfully, since in June 1873, Colonel Castonon returned to Belgium to order other specimens, but it had to buy other weapons, because the manufacturers were overloaded by other orders, in particular for the Belgian army, but also for Chile (20.000 rifles) and Brazil. Chile and Peru fought each other between 1879 and 1883 during the War of the Pacific, both armed with Comblain rifles.
The ammunition of this weapon should be the Belgian cartridge of the time (that for tge Chilean rifle is slightly different).
The bayonet should be similar to the first Belgian bayonet for the Comblain 1870 rifle, therefore rather similar to that of French Chassepot rifle, but with a leather scabbard.
GP & GG
Of the Proof House
Star/ELG in an oval – acceptance stamp from 1846 to 1893.
Perron: post 1853 inspection stamp.
X crowned: countermark of the controller - 1853 to 1877.
Of the inventor:
Comblain II Patented(without comment)
Of the manufacturer:
BAYET Fres in LIEGE - They were registered with the Liege Proof House from 1860 to 1881.
The stamp LAM in a triangle is that of Léopold Ancion-Marx, (28 rue Grangagnage in Liege), a firm registered with the House of proof from 1890 to 1935 before continuing under another corporate name. The presence of this mark, which appeared only in 1890, is ifficult to explain.
P - D in a circle - 51: probably a workshop mark.
The weapon was obviously manufactured by BAYET Frères whose dates of activities correspond to those of the weapon.
Several hypothesis are possible, including the repurchasing of a batch of COMBLAIN
Short Rifles downgraded by the army, by ANCION-MARX, which would have reconditioned, marked and resold the weapons on the civilian market ?
Many thanks to the "ROYAL ARMY MUSEUM" Bruxelles for the pictures.
(N° identification : F51/203)
Cal. 9 mm pinfire
Belgian Lefaucheux pinfire revolver. Light, floral style engravings with worn gold inlays on the cylinder, barrel, grip, loading gate, trigger guard and frame. Medium size frame. Single and double action. Solid frame design with a cylinder bridge. The left side of the barrel displays following markings, "Bayet F-res Brevete". "Crown over G", "Crown over L" and Liege proof are stamped on the cylinder. The entire frame and barrel are machined from one piece of steel, which is quite uncommon. Interesting design of the cylinder rod, with the spring operated locking mechanism. Six-chamber cylinder. Barrel length: 118mm.
Many thanks to "Collectiblefirearms" for the pictures.
Here is a Bayet pinfire revolver in caliber 9 mm, 4-groove rifling, right hand twist.
By turning the ejector rod a 110 degrees down, the barrel and cylinder can be moved forward. Then by turning the rod back into normal place, the barrel and cylinder are locked in the forward position, and the empty cases can be pushed out.
It is double action only.
Barrel length 105 mm, total length 138 mm.
Many thanks to H.J.M. for these nice pictures and for the technicals details.
Under this heading we are presenting 2 guns that we arbitrarily credit to "Bayet Frères" due to the initials BF surrounding two crossed sabres and also to the Patent papers which seem to correspond perfectly to the illustrated "Revolver-Dagger".
Considering that these gun manufacturers generally signed either "Bayet Frères" or "Bayet followed of one of the first names", no file or document in our possession presently allows us, to certify that this mark (BF) is really their stamp.(Any information on this subject would be welcome).
The first gun is a Combination Knife-Revolver (dagger), Lefaucheux system for Pinfire cartridges, in conformity with the the March 24, 1865 Bayet Brothers' patent .
The second gun is a revolver for center fire cartridges. Natural and economic evolutions (re-use of the parts) of the Lefaucheux system, ammunition of which was obsolete, by adapting the frame to allow a modified hammer to strike the center (primer) of the cartridge and the removal of the notches allowing the passage of the pins at the back of the cylinder.
(Parisian *?) grips made of carved vulcanized rubber.
"Courtesy of antiquefirearms.com".USA
Bayet type Lefaucheux (before 1893)
Back to "IDENTIFIED CRAFTSMEN